The 2020 Morley Safer Award for Outstanding Reporting was cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Production of future competitions has been paused until further notice. Inquiries may be sent to MorleySaferAward@austin.utexas.edu.
The Morley Safer Award for Outstanding Reporting included a cash prize of $5,000. It was bestowed on Hannah Dreier, a reporter whose work the judges deemed as the best example of creativity, vision, and integrity in reporting from among the field of entries. The award and four Citations for Excellence were presented at a lunch held in New York City in October of 2019. Learn more about the award winners.
The Morley Safer Award celebrates work of creativity, vision, and integrity that, like Morley Safer’s, changes how we understand the world. Jurors look for news stories that meet the following criteria:
- An overlooked story of national significance or a fresh perspective on a familiar subject
- In-depth investigation that gets to the heart of important issues
- Approachable storytelling about complex political, cultural, or social issues
- Meticulous and compelling use of language
- Open to United States or Canadian news media: print, broadcast, radio or digital.
- Published or broadcast between January 1 and December 31 of the previous calendar year. A series of stories must have the first installment/episode published or broadcast within the eligibility date range.
- Teams are eligible for entry.
How to Submit
- Future candidates for the Morley Safer Award may submit their work directly online via the submission portal during the call for entries dates, which will be posted on this page when available.
- Team entries must indicate a project team lead. A total of three team members may be listed by name. Additional team members will be credited to the organization’s staff. Applicants may also indicate a primary contact name to represent the group.
What to Submit
- A single news story or series of news stories
- If the story is a series, applicants may upload up to three installments/episodes for review by the judges, in your order of preference with the version you consider your best work first. Please also upload the full series as a separate file for review as needed.
- A brief statement (350 words or less) describing how your story meets the selection criteria.
- An entrance fee of $100 payable via major credit card in the submission system.
- Limited scholarship funds for freelance or independent reporters needing assistance with the entry fee may be available. Contact us at MorleySaferAward@austin.utexas.edu to inquire.
Your statement, media materials, and entry fees are all submitted online through the Morley Safer Award submission system. Media files must be uploaded directly to the submission portal for consideration.
Technical Requirements for Materials
- Video: MP4 – 1080p SD or HD, H.264 preferred
- Audio: MP3 – Stereo or Mono
- Images: PNG (preferred), JPG/JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF
- Documents: PDF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPS, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, RTF, TXT
- Please submit written materials in 12-point Times New Roman or similar font.
- Individual files up to 25 MB each will be accepted. Please be aware that it may take some time for the file to upload, especially if you are on an internet connection with limited bandwidth such as public WIFI.
- Files must be uploaded individually. Your application can only be open in one location; opening it in other locations to add additional files will cause only one instance to save, leading to errors and loss of work. Zipped files and watermark files are not accepted.
- Please provide the password to access files behind a firewall in the space provided.
- Producing individuals and network/platform companies should consult each other prior to submission to avoid duplicating entries. Duplicate entries will be considered once. There will be no refund of fees.