- Entries will be accepted between February 10, 2020 and March 20, 2020, at 5 p.m. CST
The Morley Safer Award for Outstanding Reporting, including a cash prize of $5,000, will be bestowed on a reporter or team of reporters and producers of creativity, vision, and integrity at a lunch held in New York City.
The Morley Safer Award celebrates work of creativity, vision, and integrity that, like Morley Safer’s, changes how we understand the world. Jurors look for news stories that meet the following criteria:
- An overlooked story of national significance or a fresh perspective on a familiar subject
- In-depth investigation that gets to the heart of important issues
- Approachable storytelling about complex political, cultural, or social issues
- Meticulous and compelling use of language
- Open to United States or Canadian news media: print, broadcast, radio or digital.
- Published or broadcast between January 1 and December 31 of 2019. A series of stories must have the first installment/episode published or broadcast within the eligibility date range.
- Teams are eligible for entry.
How to Submit
- Candidates for the Morley Safer Award may submit their work directly online via the submission portal beginning February 10, 2020, through March 20, 2020, at 5 p.m. CST.
- Team entries must indicate a project team lead. A total of three team members may be listed by name. Additional team members will be credited to the organization’s staff. Applicants may also indicate a primary contact name to represent the group.
What to Submit
- A single news story or series of news stories
- If the story is a series, applicants may upload up to three installments/episodes for review by the judges, in your order of preference with the version you consider your best work first. Please also upload the full series as a separate file for review as needed.
- A brief statement (350 words or less) describing how your story meets the selection criteria.
- An entrance fee of $100 payable via major credit card in the submission system.
- For freelance/independent reporters and those working for organizations with fewer than 21 staff members, the entrance fee is $50.
Your statement, media materials, and entry fees are all submitted online through the Morley Safer Award submission system. Media files must be uploaded directly to the submission portal for consideration.
Technical Requirements for Materials
- Video: MP4 – 1080p SD or HD, H.264 preferred
- Audio: MP3 – Stereo or Mono
- Images: PNG (preferred), JPG/JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF
- Documents: PDF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPS, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, RTF, TXT
- Please submit written materials in 12-point Times New Roman or similar font.
- Individual files up to 25 MB each will be accepted. Please be aware that it may take some time for the file to upload, especially if you are on an internet connection with limited bandwidth such as public WIFI.
- Files must be uploaded individually. Your application can only be open in one location; opening it in other locations to add additional files will cause only one instance to save, leading to errors and loss of work. Zipped files and watermark files are not accepted.
- Please provide the password to access files behind a firewall in the space provided.
- Producing individuals and network/platform companies should consult each other prior to submission to avoid duplicating entries. Duplicate entries will be considered once. There will be no refund of fees.