- Entries will be accepted between January 1, 2020 – midnight CST on February 29, 2020.
The Morley Safer Award for Outstanding Reporting, including a cash prize of $5,000, will be bestowed on a reporter or team of reporters and producers of creativity, vision, and integrity at a lunch held in New York City. Travel and hotel expenses for the honoree will be provided.
The Morley Safer Award seeks stories that embody Morley Safer’s commitment to original reporting grounded in historical context and informed perspective.
Among the criteria, jurors will select stories that reflect Safer’s distinctive strengths as a reporter:
- An overlooked story or a familiar story presented from a fresh perspective
- An illuminating profile of a person or place that offers unexpected insights
- In-depth investigation, regardless of risk
- Approachable storytelling about complex issues
- Meticulous and compelling use of language
- Open to United States or Canadian news media: print, broadcast, radio or digital.
- Published, broadcast or posted between January 1 and December 31 of 2019. A series of stories must have the first installment published or aired within the eligibility date range.
- Teams are eligible for entry.
How to Submit
- Candidates for the Morley Safer Award may submit their work directly online via the submission portal located on this webpage beginning January 1, 2020, through midnight CST on February 29, 2020.
- Candidates may also be suggested by a member of the Morley Safer Award Panel of Nominators composed of journalists from multiple news platforms. Nominees will be contacted by Morley Safer Award staff to complete their submission.
- Team entries must indicate a project team lead. Up to five additional team members may be listed by name. Additional team members will be credited to the organization’s staff. Candidates may also indicate a contact name to represent the group in Morley Safer Award communications, such as the organization’s public relations coordinator.
What to Submit
- A single news story or series of news stories
- If the story involves continuing coverage, applicants may upload up to five installments/episodes for review by the judges in your order of preference with the version you consider your best work first. Please also upload the full series as a separate file for review as needed.
- A brief statement describing how your story meets the selection criteria.
- An entrance fee of $100, payable via major credit card in the submission system.
Your bio(s), statement, media materials, and entry fees are all submitted online through the Morley Safer Award submission system (available on this page on January 1, 2020). Media files must be uploaded directly to the submission portal for consideration.
Technical Requirements for Materials
- Video: MP4 – 1080p SD or HD, H.264 preferred
- Audio: MP3 – Stereo or Mono
- Images: PNG (preferred), JPG/JPEG, GIF, TIF/TIFF
- Documents: PDF, DOC, DOCX, PPT, PPS, PPTX, XLS, XLSX, RTF, TXT
- Please submit written materials in 12-point Times New Roman or similar font.
- Individual files up to 25 MB each will be accepted. Please be aware that it may take some time for the file to upload, especially if you are on an internet connection with limited bandwidth such as public wifi.
- Files must be uploaded individually. Your application can only be open in one location; opening it in other locations to add additional files will cause only one instance to save, leading to errors and loss of work. Zipped files and watermark files are not accepted.
- Producing individuals and network/platform companies should consult each other prior to submission to avoid duplicating entries. Duplicate entries will be considered once. There will be no refund of fees.